Monday, September 28, 2009

DON"T DO THIS


For those of you who don't think I'm crazy, yet, you'll probably at least think I'm stupid after you read this.

So we learned a little bit in science class about photosynthesis. It seems that plants are actually solar powered, taking sunlight and converting it into energy using specialized 'converter' organs called chloroplasts. Pretty amazing. People have been working on developing solar power for while now and haven't gotten close to what plants can do.

Anyways, I've also been doing a little running. Actually, I've been doing a lot of running. I saw the movie Saint Ralph and caught the running bug. Usually, can't put in any road mileage until after school and, by then, it's pretty freakin' hot. Let me restate that: it's like running through a furnace. Supposedly, winter has started here in south Texas, but that only means the mornings are cooler. Mid to late afternoons are, for the time being, still scorchers. When it's summer, it's like running on the surface of the sun.

So what about the chloroplasts and photosynthesis? Well, here was my logic: if plants can convert sunlight to energy, then surely my skin cells, loaded with chloroplasts, could do the same thing. Stay with me for a moment. Just think about it: going out for a run on a hot, sunny day, the whole time your body being rejuvenated (not burdened) by the blazing rays of the sun. It's genius right? Forget the fact that the chloroplasts might turn your skin green, giving you a nice Incredible Hulk tone...It's the extra energy that would really matter.

So how would I get chloroplasts into my skin cells? A smoothie, of course. Now, before you click the link AWAY from my blog never to return, let me just say that I did not make a smoothie entirely out of grass or leaves from trees. I simply made a regular fruit smoothie and popped in a handful of grass and, well, other green plants straight out of the ground into the blender and had it for breakfast.

And you know what? I ran great that afternoon. Never felt better running in my life. I floated around the neighborhood on a cloud. My legs felt like they could have spun forever. The only problem was that, later that evening...well, I'll leave out details, but my stomach and I didn't get along all that well. A few times I'm pretty sure we were close to going our separate ways. And I'm pretty sure the chloroplasts from the grass didn't go to my skin cells. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure they weren't even inside my body when the day was over...

No, I don't think I'll be doing that again any time soon. And no, I'm not crazy. Stupid, but not crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment